Whichever way your precarious work-life balance tips, it’s sleep that typically gets the boot. Teaming up with sleep expert, Dr. Michael Breus Ph.D., Braun have uncovered a link between a person’s morning routine and the success that person experiences in work, life and even love.
Developed to celebrate the launch of the new Braun Series 9 shaver, Braun’s findings and routine is based on some basic principles. 21st-century living demands you become a morning person, so follow these steps and start paying attention to the details.
Each step is designed to affect one of the 5 senses, which will help make you alert and focused;
1. Go to bed at the right time (for you) every night, including weekends. The more consistent your sleep times, the easier it is to wake up. Start with your weekday wake up time and count backwards 7.5 hours (if you wake at 6:30am, your new bedtime is 11:00pm). You can then adjust this accordingly. If you stop needing an alarm after about 10 days, you found your ultimate bedtime.
2. Never hit the snooze. The average snooze button is between 7-9 minutes long, your body cannot physically get into a deep refreshing state of sleep in this short period of time, so by hitting the snooze, all you are doing is giving yourself light sleep.
3. Get direct sunlight for 10 min before you do anything else. Melatonin (the sleep hormone) is still being produced in the morning, but it stops immediately when sunlight hits the optic nerve through your eyes. Go outside or in front of a window and soak it in.
4. Drink an 8oz glass of room temperature water. While sleeping you breathe out about a liter of water, and you wake up dehydrated, HYDRATE, it is one of the fastest ways to give yourself a boost (not to mention kick in your metabolism).
5. Let there be music. Turning on music is one of the easiest ways to invigorate yourself and get your brain going. Pick a song that is up-beat – even sing in the shower if you want.
6. Don’t forget to breathe. Take 5-6 deep breaths in and out revitalizing you with some clean morning air. This increases your heart rate allowing your body to acclimatize to the day ahead more quickly.
7. Exercise your body and mind. A bout of physical and/ or mental exercise increases your focus making you more alert and focused throughout the day. Consider 10-15 push-ups, and a 1-5 minutes morning meditation once out of the shower.
8. Take a cool shower. While in the shower remember that hot water can raise your core body temperature which is a sleep signal to the brain. Make the water cool, not cold, to continue to bring on alertness.
9. Start your day with a good breakfast. Studies show eating breakfast can improve memory and concentration levels, improve mood and lower stress levels. Like any other organ in the body, the brain needs energy to work at its best.
10. Looking good is feeling good. Never underestimate the role your grooming regime and fashion choices have in your con dence. If you shave, then use a shaver that gives you the best results leaving your skin feeling comfortable when you walk out the door. If you are going to have the best wake up routine, you should have the best equipment, and the Braun Series 9 is it.
The Braun Series 9 Shaver is available to purchase here